Pet Parenting Expert Kristen Levine Announces Pet Anxiety Awareness Campaign in June
Pet Living with Kristen Levine, an online pet parenting guide for pet parents, announced that the fourth-annual Pet Anxiety Awareness campaign (PAAW) will be observed from June 1 through June 30. This awareness month was created by Kristen Levine, a nationally-known pet parenting expert, to help people recognize the symptoms of fear, anxiety and stress (FAS) in dogs and cats and to encourage pet parents to speak to their veterinarian about how to get their pets relief.
“I started PAAW to help people and their pets after watching my own dog Buck suffer with debilitating anxiety for years,” said Levine. “Veterinarians estimate that 50 percent of dogs and cats suffer from FAS, while noise aversion specifically is prevalent among dogs. Research shows that 67 percent of dogs in the United States suffer from one or more signs of noise aversion, so it’s critical to raise awareness as the symptoms are often misunderstood as behavior problems. In reality, these are medical issues that require consultation with your veterinarian to identify ways to alleviate stress in your pet.”
SILEO (dexmedetomidine oromucosal gel), which is distributed by Zoetis and is the first FDA-approved treatment for dogs that suffer from noise aversion, will return as a lead veterinary sponsor for a third year. The prescription medication can easily be administered at home to calm without sedation, which allows your dog to interact normally with the family.
In addition to SILEO’s sponsorship, PAAW also receives help from other pet brands to reach more pet parents to offer product solutions that help calm and comfort pets with FAS including:
- DOGTV, a 24/7 digital TV channel with programming scientifically developed to provide the right company for dogs when left alone.
- FELIWAY, creator of products that provide solutions to make cats happy and soothe signs of anxiety, such as urine spraying, scratching, fighting or hiding.
- The Anxious Pet, a brand on a mission to help pets live happier, more peaceful lives by reducing their anxiety through calming and wellness products, education and support from the industry’s leading experts.
- ThunderShirt, the original natural calming solution that helps reduce anxiety in dogs in a drug-free way.
- ThunderWunders, a line of dog and cat calming chews recommended by veterinarians that promote rest and relaxation for your pet with ingredients such as, L-tryptophan, chamomile flower and t
Fear Free, LLC shares PAAW’s mission and will participate in the campaign again as an industry content partner. The campaign will also include two new industry partners: The American College of Veterinary Behaviorists and Dog Nerds.
- Fear Free, an initiative founded by “America’s Veterinarian,” Dr. Marty Becker, to get pets back for veterinary visits by promoting a considerate approach and gentle control techniques used in calming environments. The American College of Veterinary Behaviorists (ACVB), the certifying board for veterinarians who are specialty trained to advance the behavioral health of animals through research, science-based behavior education and the practice of clinical behavioral medicine.
- The Dog Nerds, a platform with online programs and support to help you change your dog’s behavior and to make life more enjoyable for both of you, created by board certified veterinary behaviorist Lisa Radosta, DVM, DACVB and Certified Professional Dog Trainer, Mindy Cox.
Each of the PAAW sponsors and supporters will be featured throughout June on the Pet Living with Kristen Levine blog, social channels and a syndicated television segment.